Supreme Court Orders EC to Suspend District Assembly Elections

The Supreme Court has, by a unanimous decision last Friday, ordered the Electoral Commission to suspend the District Assembly elections scheduled for March 3, 2015.

The seven-member panel, presided over by Mr Justice William Atuguba also directed the EC to restart the processes for the nomination.

District-Assembly-ElectionsThe court earlier on February 26, 2015, directed the EC to stop advertisements on the polls until the final determination of the matter.

The plaintiff, a District Assembly aspirant, Benjamin Eyi Mensah, dragged the Commission to court for illegally disqualifying and failing to include him in the impending elections. He was represented by his lawyer, Mr Alexander Afenyo-Markin.

The court held that the law the EC sought to rely on to justify its disqualification of the applicant was non-existent. It said that it was only proper for the EC to be ordered to start the current District Assembly election process “afresh”.

Consequently, in a press release signed by Deputy Chairperson of the EC, Ms. Georgina Opoku Amankwaa, shortly after the court decision, the EC said “with regard to the maturity of C.I. 85, the District Level Elections and all activities connected with them had been suspended forthwith until further notice.”

Leave a Reply