Marriage Registration Fees For 2016 Released

Love couples in Accra will pay at least GH¢150.00 in fees to celebrate a marriage under the ordinance at the Marriage Registry in AMA, in 2016. The new marriage registration fees are published under the Accra Metropolitan Assembly’s Imposition of Rates and Fee-Fixing Resolution, 2016, in the Local Government Bulletin No.1 dated Wednesday, January 6, 2016. The new fees come in a resolution adopted at a meeting of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly convened on October 31, 2015, and signed by the Acting Presiding Member of the Assembly, Hon. Derrick Addotey Myres and the Metropolitan Coordinating Director, Sam Ayeh-Datey. The Approved … Continue reading Marriage Registration Fees For 2016 Released

TV3 Disciplines Nana Aba Anamoah Over Tweets

TV3 is very unhappy with Nana Aba Anamoah over tweets she made recently, especially the viral Old Trafford “selfie”. The sassy news anchor and producer has gotten into trouble with her employer following uproar and ridicule on Twitter and local media over a photo—a supposed selfie she took in the stands at Old Trafford during a football match Manchester United played—which she tweeted last week. Management of TV3 announced Saturday night, it has pulled the news anchor Nana Aba Anamoah off air over what it calls “alleged online information theft and other unprofessional misrepresentations that have flooded social and other … Continue reading TV3 Disciplines Nana Aba Anamoah Over Tweets

Dickson Wins RedBull King of the Rock Ghana 2015

Kwame Dickson from Cantonments Accra has won the RedBull King of the Rock Ghana 2015 basketball tournament finals played last night September 11 at the Lebanon House, Accra. He beat Accra Poly’s Romeo Enan by 17 points to 13 in the men’s final match to win the one-on-one basketball competition. “I’m very excited. I knew I would win this tournament although I was the first runner up at the Cantonments qualifying match. This win is for my family”, Dickson told Labone Express. He won the game for his wife and son who were very disappointed when he lost to Elvis … Continue reading Dickson Wins RedBull King of the Rock Ghana 2015

Functions of District Assemblies You Should Know

Knowing the functions of District Assemblies may enable us, their constituents, to see how much their work impacts so many aspects of our lives, and perhaps appreciate how important (or not) it is for everyone to take strong interest in what the District Assemblies do.  This knowledge can empower us to hold them accountable, demand quality municipal services and better representation of our elected assemblymembers. The 1992 Constitution of the Republic of Ghana, in Article 240, tasks them, the local government authorities (Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies — MMDAs) to plan, initiate, co-ordinate, manage and execute policies in respect of … Continue reading Functions of District Assemblies You Should Know

A Problematic Billboard for Accra Tourist Attractions, Monuments & Branding

I am one of the many residents of Accra who experience Ghana’s rich history and heritage everyday. I come close to the nation’s most important monuments and Accra tourist attractions each working day on my trips from Teshie-Nungua to my office on shores of the Korle Lagoon. By some design, the monuments and heritage sites are located within a one kilometre stretch, starting from the Castle junction, and up to the Ussher Fort, on the President J. E. Atta Mills High Street (formerly High Street). The only road that sees more tourists than this stretch is the road to the … Continue reading A Problematic Billboard for Accra Tourist Attractions, Monuments & Branding

New Date for District Assembly Elections 2015 Out Finally

The District Assembly Elections 2015 will come off September 1, the Electoral Commission has announced, finally. The commission has posted notices of the polls and the date, as well as voters’ education posters in the electoral areas. The local government polls were scheduled for March 3, 2015 initially, but were suspended on the orders of the Supreme Court when an aspiring contestant challenged the electoral commission for wrongful disqualification. The court held that the law the EC sought to rely on to justify its disqualification of the applicant was non-existent. It said that it was only proper for the EC to … Continue reading New Date for District Assembly Elections 2015 Out Finally